What’s more relaxing than sailing through Narragansett Bay as the sun sets while you sip something refreshing with friends at your side? If you happen to own a boat, there are a few things you need to gather and tasks to handle before you let the sails take over.
From slip rentals to storage sights, pumpouts to repairs, the following list covers everything a boat owner might need in and around Newport County. We’ve even included tips on food and spirits that you can get delivered directly to your vessel!
Eliminate any interruptions and ensure smooth sailing by checking this selected list before you step foot on the dock again.
For the Vessel
Moorings and Dockage
Dockwa is a useful tool for reserving moorings and dock space in Newport County.
Transient Moorings Find information on moorings for visiting boaters provided by a variety of public and private operators in Newport. Transient moorings in Newport Harbor are on a first come first serve basis. Mariners can inquire by hailing the Newport Harbormaster on VHF. Channel 16. or one of the other Commercial mooring services. They are as follows:
– Brenton Cove Moorings VHF. Channel 09
– Newport Mooring Service VHF. Channel 09
– Old Port Marine Services VHF. Channel 68
Transient Dinghy Docks in Newport, RI: Ft. Adams, Sail Newport, Ann Street pier, Bowens Wharf (privately owned dock), Perrotti Park, Inn at Long Wharf, Elm Street Pier (Loading Dock, 20 min. time limit)
Overnight Dinghy Docks in Newport, RI: West Extension Street and King Park
Public Boat Launches Details on public boat launches in Newport, Jamestown, Tiverton, and Portsmouth, RI.
Pumpouts Fuel docks that set up pumpouts include Bannister’s Wharf, located at the Maritime Center (Ann Street Pier). Others around RI are included on this comprehensive map: https://dem.ri.gov/sites/g/files/xkgbur861/files/maps/mapfile/pumpmap.pdf
Refit & Repair Newport Shipyard offers complete refit and repair services for motor vessels and sailing yachts.
For the Passengers
- Newport Shipyard is one of the biggest in the northeast where you can find just about anything you need for boating (plus a great cafe that serves breakfast and lunch all day).
- Sweet Berry Farm delivers artfully crafted platters, desserts, and bagged lunches to Aquidneck Island marinas.
- Clementine’s Homemade Ice Cream has a partnership with Brown & Howard Wharf to offer online ordering and curbside pick-up.
- Farm Fresh RI also works with Brown & Howard Wharf to get fresh food from local farms delivered to your boat dockside.
- Point Wine & Spirits delivers to boats docked on Aquidneck Island and Jamestown.
- Bellevue Wine & Spirits provides dockside delivery of your favorite vintages, ingredients for the perfect Dark and Stormy, or even specific purified water. Let them pair your beverages with the perfect cheese selection supplied by a local partner, Milk & Honey.
- Allen’s Wine & Spirits offers complimentary same-day dockside delivery to vessels in Bristol, Portsmouth, Middletown, Newport, and Jamestown.
For the View
- Best Marinas A round-up of the area’s best marinas and yacht clubs.
- Newport Yachting Center Marina Find information on the finest shopping, entertainment, nightlife, and culture across southern New England, New York, and the Islands. This page includes a list of events below and a way to plan an itinerary.
- Conanicut Marina on Conanicut Island is a friendly port of call where weary boaters can dock their boats or use one of the many slips, in Jamestown, RI.
- Forty 1° North, a waterfront restaurant and hotel has both day docking and overnight docking. Dockside delivery is available for food orders.
- Jamestown Harbor Master The Town of Jamestown offers a variety of boating facilities and services that are available to the public. There are boat ramps located at East Ferry, Ft. Getty, and Ft. Wetherill, pumpout facilities available at both harbors and no-cost touch-and-go docks.
Just For Fun
- Music Festivals by Boat Locals agree that the best way to enjoy the Newport Folk Festival and Newport Jazz Festival hosted each year at Fort Adams is from the water. Usually, boaters raft together or drop anchor off of Fort Adams.
- Newport Lobster Shack The best lobster rolls on the planet might be in Newport. Local lobstermen sell their catch plus a small menu of delicious prepared food items including clam chowder and lobster rolls from their food truck located on State Pier 9.
- Newport Charter Yacht Show’s Chef Competition Yacht chefs are challenged to meet the expectations of guests as they return to or discover yachting. Chefs delight the judges with the creation of their choice.
Keep in mind that boaters born after January 1, 1986, or anyone operating a personal watercraft (such as a jet ski) must have boating safety certification regardless of age and residency. Get the details on RI DEM’s page about Boating Safety Certification rules for operating a vessel for RI.
Have a question about something we may have overlooked? Reach out to us anytime to inquire about coastal properties in Newport County, RI and all the benefits that come with them. Call Matt at (401) 965-1927 or send a message to email@example.com.